This will be your new favorite top! It’s casual and polished at the same time and perfect to throw over jeans, capris or leggings. The front has a fitted look, but the slightly longer, pleated back is what shows it off. Choose between two scoop necklines and several sleeve lengths, including a flattering rolled back cuff. You will learn techniques for sewing with knit fabrics. Bring your serger along to get more experience using it!
As with Alice’s garment classes, the first class will be fitting and cutting, and the second class will be sewing/serging the shirt. If you have done the Perfect T class, bring your customized pattern, as the fit is similar. Also bring measurement charts that you have done with Alice in previous garment classes.
Materials required for First class – fitting and cutting
- Pleated Back Flowy Tee pattern, pattern tracing paper, pencil
- Good quality knit fabric with some drape for the flowy style (Pre-wash your fabric before the class)
- Quilting ruler and curved armhole ruler for garment making
- Rotary cutter, scissors, large cutting mat, pins or weights
- Marking tools: chalk recommended, disappearing and wash away (not Frixion) or tracing wheel and chalk paper, some like a pattern notcher
- SewKeysE tapes: Knit stay tape, Woven stay tape. For Hems: Double-sided fusible stay tape (1”) or ½” Floriani Stitch Perfect double-sided wash away tape
Materials for Second class: We will learn sewing techniques for knits and be constructing the shirt. In addition, we will do fittings along the way to make any final adjustments to shirt and pattern for a custom fit. Then, you can make many more!
- Shirt pieces all cut and marked and coordinating polyester thread
- Sewing machine and serger with serger threads to match (optional)
- Stretch needle (75/11)
- Edge joining foot
- Press cloth, Best Press, pressing ham/sleeve roll or clapper
- Sewing tools (pins, scissors, stiletto, marking tools)
- SewKeysE tapes: Knit stay tape, Woven stay tape For Hems: Double-sided fusible stay tape (1”) or ½” Floriani Stitch Perfect double-sided wash away tape
Prep before class:
- Purchase the pattern and read through to become familiar with the pattern and for further fabric recommendations.
- Purchase and pre-wash and dry the fabric
- Some materials will be available to purchase at the class like pattern tracing paper and marking and sewing tools, needles and thread
Recommended items for class:
- Pleated Back Flowy Tee pattern (Pamela ‘s Patterns), fabric, pattern tracing paper
- Cutting and measuring tools: rulers (quilt/curved garment), scissors, rotary cutter
- SewKeysE tapes: Knit stay tape, Woven stay tape, and Double-sided fusible stay tape (1”)
- Floriani ½” Stitch Perfection Tape – double-sided, wash away
- Pressing ham, clapper, sleeve roll
- Notions: pins, thread, sewing needles , serger threads
- Edge-joining foot (or stitch in the ditch foot)
- Stretch needle (75/11)
- Knit fabrics